A Pre-K through Grade 12 Coordinate School Located in Honolulu

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

Complete the Parent Financial Statement online at sss.nais.org/parents. Upload the required documents to the SSS by NAIS portal. See instructions.

What happens in cases where parents are divorced, separated, or never married?

Divorce, separation, or never married does not relieve biological parents from their responsibilities to educate their children. St. Andrew’s Schools requires both custodial and non-custodial parents to apply for financial aid by completing and filing their PFS with SSS, and submitting all required documents by the appropriate deadline. The Committee reviews the financial status of both biological parents and their households and determines the student’s need based on the family’s ability to contribute. St. Andrew’s Schools will not be bound by any divorce agreement specifying a parent’s responsibility for education expenses since the School was not a party to the agreement nor was the School represented at the hearing. Likewise, St. Andrew’s Schools will not be bound by the assertion that one parent has disclaimed responsibility for the student. The school considers the obligations of the parents to their new family situations in determining the award, but will not become involved in allocating the award on a proportional basis to the families involved. The responsibility for all communications and payments ultimately lies with the custodial parent.

A parent may marry, remarry, or establish a permanent relationship with another adult. Will that person’s financial circumstances be considered in the financial aid award for the children?

Yes. The addition of another adult into your household generally changes its financial picture to a considerable degree. In the school’s view, your resources and expenses, including those for education, become family resources and expenses, just as those of your new partner become part of the family’s financial picture. We will ask you to complete the PFS together, providing information pertinent to the new family unit and appropriate documents.

What happens if a biological parent cannot be contacted or the whereabouts are unknown?

The school will waive the requirement if the custodial parent can provide verifiable documentation from an official source, such as a family doctor, lawyer, member of the clergy, school official, social worker, employer, or other non-related person who is aware of the family situation in a professional capacity, that states that the:

  • Location of the non-custodial parent is unknown.
  • Non-custodial parent has provided no support and has had no contact with the family for at least two years.
  • Involvement of the non-custodial parent is not in the best interest of the student and/or custodial parent.

If there are any other extenuating circumstances that might warrant waiving this requirement, written requests may be sent to the Financial Aid Office.

How does the school determine financial need?

The school and Student Services by NAIS (SSS) uses a nationally accepted formula to analyze a family’s finances as demonstrated through the PFS and provides a preliminary estimate of a family’s ability to contribute to their children’s educational expenses. Both the finances and the estimate of contribution are provided to the School, which uses that information to determine need (the difference between the tuition and the family’s estimated contribution) and make tuition awards. St. Andrew’s Schools is generally able to award only a percentage of the SSS-calculated need.

How much income would put my family out of the financial aid range?

There is no predetermined income figure that qualifies a family for tuition assistance. Numerous factors are considered in determining need, including but not limited to family size, assets, liabilities, and number of children attending a tuition-charging school. The school looks at the application, and it differentiates between necessary expenses and money spent for lifestyle choices and voluntary reductions in income such as being a stay-at-home parent, leaving work to become a full time student, retiring, etc. The school cannot provide financial aid to support lifestyle expenditures that could be directed to education or to make up for voluntary reductions in income.

Should I apply for financial aid before applying for admission?

The admission application should be completed concurrently with the financial aid application. While the two processes are separate, financial aid is awarded only to applicants who are qualified to enroll in the school. If the financial aid process is completed by the deadline, the tuition awards are mailed in the acceptance enrollment packets.

What if I have more than one child attending The Priory or The Prep or another tuition-charging school?

It is important that all children in the household who are attending a tuition-charging school are included on the PFS. It is also important, and expected, that parents apply for tuition assistance for all of the schools their children attend, including colleges and universities. If the other schools do not have a financial aid program, please note that on the PFS. In order to receive aid from St. Andrew’s Schools, parents must apply for aid at all schools their children attend.

What should I do if I have copies of all the required documents for the school except my Federal income tax return?

Submit all of the documentation that you do have. The financial aid committee will do its best to make a preliminary award using the EFC and submitted documentation. After you have submitted the signed tax returns, the committee will confirm or re-compute the award. You will be notified in writing if the award has changed.

Do I need to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes. To be eligible, families must reapply for financial aid each year. As long as your financial need continues, the school will continue to try to assist you. Adjustments will be made each year for tuition increases, changes in your family’s financial picture, availability of financial aid funds, and the number of applicants.

Will my child’s financial aid award change from year to year?

Financial aid is recalculated each year using information from the current Parent Financial Statement. If there is little or no change in the financial circumstances, a family can generally expect awards to remain at approximately the same level.

Do I have to repay the financial aid received?

No. The financial aid award is a gift to your family from St. Andrew’s Schools, funded in part by generous donations from our benefactors. After your child has completed her/his education and is gainfully employed, it is our hope that your family will choose to give back by contributing monetarily to the financial aid program so that others may also benefit from a St. Andrew’s Schools’ education.

When would I be notified of the financial aid award?

If the financial aid application and all documents were received by the due date, parents of new incoming students will be notified of the financial aid awards as follows:

Letters for grades K-12 applicants, emailed by March 19, 2020.
Letters for returning students, emailed by March 2, 2020.

Are there any conditions of this financial aid award?

Yes. The school has the same expectations of all of its students, that they must maintain a satisfactory academic and citizenship record. In addition, the family’s tuition payment history and financial obligations to the school may affect financial aid awards.

What should I do if I need to turn in our enrollment contract and deposit, and I don’t know what the financial aid amount is?

Turn in the enrollment contract and the enrollment deposit with a note indicating that you have applied for financial aid. When the financial aid is awarded, you will have seven business days to accept or to decline the financial aid award. 

Would I lose the tuition deposit if the financial aid amount is insufficient and my child goes to a public school?

No. As long as you notify us within seven business days of being granted the financial aid award, your deposit will be refunded if you are unable to afford the tuition after the financial aid award is applied to the total amount due and your child attends a public school or a private school with a lower net tuition. (Net tuition would be the private school tuition, less financial aid or scholarship.) A copy of your child’s class schedule or other document from a public school or a copy of the tuition notification from a private school would be required in order to receive a full deposit refund. This must be done within seven business days, or prior to July 5, whichever comes first, after which date the enrollment deposit is non-refundable.

Can a family apply for a named scholarship?

Financial aid budget funds are partly derived from donors who support the schools’ financial aid program and have indicated eligibility criteria. Families apply for financial assistance in general and not for individual scholarships. Students receiving financial aid awards are assigned to individual scholarships based on the donor criteria and funds available. The named scholarships are part of, not in addition to, the financial aid award. The designated recipients and their parents are often asked to write thank you or testimonial letters that are collected and disbursed through the Office of Institutional Advancement.

Hard copy financial records submitted by the family for financial aid consideration become the property of St. Andrew’s Schools. All are held in strict confidence and destroyed after three years. Records will only be released with the written consent of the provider.

For questions about financial aid contact financialaid@standrewsschools.org.