Upper School Curriculum
Continuing the visionary legacy of our Founder, Queen Emma, St. Andrew’s Priory School for Girls fosters driven, engaged, thoughtful, courageous, and good young women who contribute to the betterment of society. The Priory offers a holistic academic, social, and emotional program specifically designed with girls’ unique needs, aspirations, and interests as the focus. Girls are at the center and at the forefront, dreaming, leading, collaborating, and enjoying and inspired by the process of learning. Within a small, nurturing, and supportive environment, our girls develop the dispositions and capabilities to think deeply about the world, make good decisions, and take action to take care of themselves and others, both locally and globally.
Points of Pride
- Personalized Schedule
- The Stevens Global Leadership Program
- Career Exploration & Readiness Program
Priory high school students enjoy a personalized schedule that is built around student interests, skillsets, and aspirations. Each student builds her schedule through one-on-one consultation with academic staff, choosing the best mix of online, iPriory, and face-to-face learning opportunities during the school day,, whether it is in the classroom, at Hawaii Pacific University, or downtown workplace internships. This experience builds self-directed learners by encouraging students to manage their learning process, growing their sense of independence and confidence, while retaining and supporting the richness of student life that can only be sustained and cultivated through meaningful, face-to-face interactions.
In a fast-paced, ever changing, and fluid world, our students must cultivate the character, capabilities, and will to contribute to a bright future. The Stevens Global Leadership Program offers engaging and challenging learning experiences where
- Investigate the world beyond their immediate environment, deeply engaging in inquiry about significant global issues that affect peace,
- Recognize, articulate, and explain multiple perspectives, aware and respectful of how religious, cultural, geopolitical and historical backgrounds shape individual viewpoints, including their own,
- Construct and articulate their own unique perspectives about how the world works based upon sustained inquiry of global issues that affect peace,
- Communicate and engage with audiences of diverse backgrounds, recognizing and overcoming linguistic, ideological, cultural, and geographic barriers,
- Take action through networking, collaboration, negotiation, and/or compromise, seeing themselves as positive, powerful agents for peace (locally, regionally, and/or globally),
- Cultivate awareness and engage in thoughtful reflection to instill an empathetic, peace-building mindset (Reference: Education for Global Competence: Preparing Our Youth to Engage the World).
Our approach to learning creates opportunities for high school students to strengthen their higher order thinking skills and develop strong habits of mind to be successful lifelong learners. Students participate in academically engaging, rigorous courses through iPriory, a blended learning experience that combines both online and face-to-face opportunities. By engaging in a variety of online, face-to-face, and flexible meeting environments, teachers tailor their instruction to the needs of each learner. iPriory students:
- Engage in active face-to-face learning that help students reinforce their learning, hone their critical thinking and problem solving skills, express their creativity, make connections, and create their own knowledge.
- Develop independence, a sense of responsibility, proactive communication, self- advocacy and time management skills.
- Obtain the skills necessary to successfully navigate and learn from a myriad of learning environments.